ginaspider (ginaspider) wrote in algorithms,


So, I'm once again writing a ray-tracer. So far the only objects it supports are planes and spheres. My intent to support only polygons. So, I'm curious. A low-polygon polygonal object is going to look, pretty.. well- polygony (if you know what I mean). My plan was to take the ray-polygon intersections and blur the collision normal, depth (somehow) and other information between adjacent polygons. I was planing on doing this using the dot-product between the collision-to-adjacent-polygons-far-edge vector and the collision-to-adjacent-polygons-near-edge vector as a bias for bluring. Is this how smoothing polygon-meshes is normally done? It seems like there'd be a better solution. What do you people think?
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 



April 24 2008, 22:02:57 UTC 6 years ago

You should use something like Phong interpolation.


April 24 2008, 23:07:51 UTC 6 years ago

ahh, thank you very much.


April 24 2008, 23:10:34 UTC 6 years ago



April 25 2008, 11:53:08 UTC 6 years ago

what does it mean - ray-tracer?


April 25 2008, 16:44:46 UTC 6 years ago

have a look at

Basically it's an algorithm for simulating light backwards to generate 3d pictures.